Director: Simon West
MPAA Rating: R
Epic Co-stars: None.Running Time: 93 minutes
Cage Time: 90%
Cage Kills: 0
Cage Flip-outs: 2
James' Review: Let's just think for a moment about the one film in the last decade that you wished Nic Cage would have been in but wasn't. Easy answer: Taken. Sure Liam Neeson is a total badass, but we all know Nicolas Cage would have an even more particular set of skills and would have found him and killed him just a bit sooner and more fantastically. This is exactly what I was hoping this movie was, what it should be, but (very) unfortunately is not.
Cage is Will Montgomery, a master safe picker. He is a career criminal in a gang of three that specializes in high value, high tech, and high profile bank robberies. Montgomery needs to pull off one last heist to to build his nest egg to the point where he can retire and finally be the father that his seven year old daughter deserves. What could go wrong? Well actually, plenty of stuff and (spoiler alert) it does. The aftermath involves Cage going to jail for just under a dime, the cute girl getting off scott free, and the ugly crazy guy (Josh Lucas) spiraling down and eventually getting killed in a fire. Or did he.... (spoiler alert) No, actually he didn't. He faked his death and is totally pissed at Cage. He wants his cut of the money from the heist and will take Cage's daughter and eventually kill her if he doesn't get it. She is STOLEN!!!
Nic Cage has only one option: reunite with the Hot Chick and rob another bank to get enough ransom money. The rest of the movie from here is the creepy ugly guy driving around talking on his cellphone, Cage's daughter spending a lot of time in a trunk, and Nic Cage being much less badass than Liam Neeson was until the end of course.
Best. Most Mediocre. Movie. Ever.
|Stolen was directed Simon West, who also directed Con Air. Do you see the resemblance?|
|Nic Cage plays a homeless man that sleeps on the street. The sidewalk is his pillow...|
- "Oh my god. You shot me."
- "I left the money. I have to get the money."
- "I'm not the squirrel playing with his nuts here."
- "I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let my daughter go now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you."
- "Who dat?"
- Nicolas Cage is way too tech savvy to have been in lockup for 8 years.
- Nicolas Cage walks away from a ridiculous car wreck that kills 2 FBI agents and runs away.
- Nicolas Cage is only knee deep in water, yet we see the taxi sink hundreds of feet.