#5 Peggy Sue Got Married


#5 Peggy Sue Got Married 
Year: 1986
Director: Francis Ford Coppola 
MPAA Rating: PG-13 
Epic Co-stars: Jim Carrey
Running Time: 103 mins
Cage Time: ~35%
Cage Kills: 0
Cage Flip-outs: 1 
Shauna's Review: Kathleen Turner stars as Peggy Sue, a 43-year-old divorcee who passes out at her 25 year high school reunion and flashes back to her senior year with her ex-husband and high school sweetheart, played by none other than Nic Cage. 22-year-old Nicolas Cage has a voice like an 8-year-old with a sinus infection, which makes me giggle through most of his dialogue. Also he looks like my little brother in a pompadour. Nic Cage has plenty of his own family in the film-- his uncle directed and his cousin, Sofia Coppola, played Peggy Sue's younger sister. Lucky for Nic Cage that he had someone in the director's seat who understood his unique creative vision (i.e. a crazed smile and a voice modeled after Pokey, Gumby's horse). This film is sweet but mostly a total bore except for a few laughable moments and a wondrous scene where Nicolas dresses in a gold lame blazer, sings in an a capella group, and does pelvic thrusts. 

Movie quotability: 0.5/5
  • "Save it, woman. Humiliator!"
  • "You mean... my wang?"
  • "My dad's right, teenagers are nuts."
  • "Oh boy. Just cherish me."
  • "Look, I've got the hair. I've got the teeth. I've got the eyes. Look out that window, I've got the car. I'm the lead singer. I'm the man."
  • Peggy, you know what a penis is...  Stay away from it."
Plot Holes:

  • Throughout the entire movie the daughter is always present while the son is spoken of only in the past and for some reason doesn't seem to exist in the present tense.


CAGEamatic
Cinematic
Skyler
Exceeds Expectations
Acceptable
Shauna
James
4.32/5
4.18/5
Martine
!Stayed in the Cage!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

You guys loved this movie?? I am so confused. I've seen this a couple of times before... I have to say, I'm just not a big fan of Nic Cage as Ross Gellar. I don't understand why Kathleen Turner had to travel back in time to realize what she already knew, namely that she still loved Charlie. Duh! Fun fact: Helen Hunt, who plays the daughter, is actually a year older than Nic Cage (dad).

James Ayers said...

Although most of the characters are pretty charming, Cage's performance is really what carried this movie for me. It seemed like in any given scene on the surface Charlie Bodell boarder-lines on being cliche, but somehow he goes deeper and makes him a both interesting and realistic personality. I think this is a great example of his Nouveau Shamanic style.

Skyler Weaver said...

@Shauna: It's ironic that you say you are not a fan of Nic Cage as Ross Gellar, when David Schwimmer was actually emulating Cage's character (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Schwimmer#Breakthrough)

Steve M said...

I thought Cage had a terrible voice in Moonstruck, but wrote that off as a NJ accent. This voice was obnoxious and unnecessary, unless the goal is to be a complete and disgusting creep. This is one of those movies that just keeps dragging on and on with you hoping that it's about to make a turn for the better, but it never does.

Cage may have been doing a good job, but a good engineer in a train wreck is still in a train wreck. Next please.

James Ayers said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0vDnjyyXOY&feature=player_embedded

KaBluie said...

#55 Peggy Sue Got Married (1986) My DVD. Rewatch. Been a long time since I watched this. It holds up great! Loved it still!

Crowbar said...

Watched this movie and got my hopes up because; time travel!
Boy the plotholes!!
So we're not going to talk about how lil Charlie wanted to suffocate Peggy with a pillow?
And that literally nothing she did in her journey made a difference and that she did exactly that, that got her where she was in the beginning. The only reason she might have done it again is for her children, but following the film's logic that wouldn't have made any impact.
Had a lot of potential but the plotholes just overshadow the few good things.

Post a Comment